Chicken ghee roast or Kundapur Chicken Ghee Roast is a popular trending chicken dish that has taken social media by storm. The dish was first created by Mr. Tejappa Shetty for his Shetty Lunch Home in the year 1956. It originated in the Kundapur town in Karnataka. A delicacy from the coastal Mangalorean cuisine, the chicken ghee roast is a tasty and tangy chicken dish. It includes tamarind and a combination of freshly ground whole spices bringing in a range of flavours that is so tasty.
Chicken Ghee Roast is a flavourful dish in which the ground spices and marinated chicken is roasted in ghee and creates this melt-in-your-mouth delight. The chicken ghee roast goes very well with rice, appams or the traditional neer dosa. You can serve it as part of the main course or even as a starter. The chicken sukka and the kori ghassi are other chicken dishes popular in Mangalorean cuisine.
Ingredients for making the Chicken Ghee Roast
For marinating the chicken
- 1 packet – 450 gms Zorabian Chicken Mix Boneless or 500 gms Zorabian pre-cut chicken skinless
- 2 pinches of turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp of thick curd
- Salt to taste
For the ghee roast masala (roast and grind)
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 pinches fenugreek seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp cummin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves
- 10 – 12 bydagi red chillies whole
- 1-inch piece of cinnamon
- A small ball of tamarind
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Ghee 1/4 cup to be added little by little at different stages of the cooking
Method for making the Chicken Ghee Roast
- Marinate the chicken in the ingredients given under marination and keep aside for 30 minutes. You may marinate the chicken the previous night and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Take a pan and add in the coriander seed, fenugreek seeds, cloves, cummin seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns and cinnamon. Roast for 2 to 3 minutes and add in the bydagi chillies and roast till all the spices and chillies are well roasted. Make sure to not burn anything or else the taste of the dish will change completely. Let cool. After it is cool, add the garlic, tamarind and 2 to 3 tbsp of water and grind well. Do not use too much water (just enough to grind well). Keep aside this chicken ghee-roasted masala.
- Take a pan and add 2 tbsp of ghee. Add in the marinated chicken. Cook till the chicken turns white and the marinade thickens. Remove chicken from pan and keep aside. Use a thick heavy bottom pan so that the masala does not burn.
- In the pan add 1 tbsp ghee, add the ghee roasted masala and keep stirring and let it cook. After a few minutes, add 1 more tbsp of the ghee and continue stirring so that the masala does not stick to the pan. Now that the masala is thick and cooked, add the chicken pieces and mix well so that the masala coats the chicken pieces well.
- Add 1 to 2 tbsp of ghee continue stirring and cook till the chicken is well done. Add the curry leaves and mix well. When the chicken is completely done, finish with the jaggery and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with plain rice, appams, rotis, dosa or neer dosa
Tips for making the Chicken Ghee Roast
- Make sure to use a thick heavy bottom pan so that the masalas do not burn.
- The dish is not very spicy in spite of the colour. However, if you still wish to adjust the heat you can reduce the number of red chillies and peppercorns.
- The chicken ghee roast is a very tasty and flavourful dish. It is easy to make however, requires some patience while roasting spices and cooking the masala with the chicken. Do not hurry up the process, the effort is all worth it with the tasty chicken ghee roast at the end.
For trying this mouthwatering chicken ghee roast recipe, you can order chicken online from Zorabian Chicken. Zorabian Chicken home delivery makes it so convenient to place an order. Chicken online is now just a click on the Zorabian website. With fresh chicken delivered to your doorstep, you can go ahead and do the other preparations and have your dish ready quickly and easily.
Do try it and share your pictures and feedback with the Zorabian Instagram Page. Buy your Zorabian chicken boneless or the cut of your choice by just checking the online chicken delivery near me. You can order farm fresh chicken from our online store or partners and enjoy cooking your favourite chicken dishes for friends and family. We bring you a number of chicken recipes that you can cook with our fresh chicken home delivery. Do check out the Zorabian blog for more recipes that you will love cooking.