Are you in love with the dragon chicken in your local Chinese restaurant? Are you looking for a tasty dragon chicken recipe that can help you recreate the dish restaurant style? Here is a step-by-step recipe for what you are looking for.
What is Dragon Chicken?
The Indo-Chinese fusion dishes have become such an integral part of our lives. The Dragon chicken is yet another delicious addition to the repertoire of yummy Chinese dishes. It is a spicy dish that has strips of battered fried chicken cooked in a sauce flavoured with whole red chillies, garlic, and soya sauce and also has a generous helping of cashews to add to the richness and taste of the dish.
You can serve it as a starter or as a side dish to fried rice or noodles. It is a dry dish as it does not have much of a gravy and has the sauces mixed just coating the chicken pieces. If you like cooking Chinese, then you sure will have all the ingredients you need to make the Dragon chicken in your pantry itself. The Dragon Chicken recipe uses mostly pantry essentials that you will generally use for cooking Chinese dishes.
How to Make the Dragon Chicken Recipe?
Ingredients for Dragon Chicken Recipe
- 250 gms of Zorabian’s Boneless Chicken (cut into thin strips)
- Oil – for frying chicken and also for making the sauce
- Salt to taste
For the chicken marination
- Maida or all-purpose flour 2 tbsp
- Cornflour – 2 tbsp
- Egg – 1 (use the white for the marination)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Water – as required to make a thick lump free mixture(mix all above ingredients under marination and make a smooth lump free paste)
- Onion – 1, cut into thin long strips
- Green capsicum – ¼, cut into thin long strips
- Yellow and red capsicum – ¼ each, cut into thin long strips
- Carrot – 1, small cut into juliennes
- Ginger finely chopped 1 tbsp
- Garlic finely chopped 1 tbsp
- Chilli paste – 1 tsp
- Chilli flakes ½ tsp (optional)
- Dry whole red chillies 4 to 5
- Cashews 10 to 15
- Soya sauce – 2 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp (can also use honey instead)
- Vinegar – ½ tsp
- Chilli sauce 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce 1 tbsp
- Cornflour – 1 tbsp
- Water – as required
- Spring onion greens chopped 1 tbsp (for garnish)
Method to make the Dragon Chicken Recipe
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under marination into a thick lump free paste. Marinate the chicken strips in this paste for 30 minutes and keep aside. Take oil in a pan, and add the marinated chicken strips one by one into the hot oil. Fry and keep aside.
- Take a wok and add in the oil. Add the whole dry red chillies, and cashews and fry for a minute. Now add in the onion, bell peppers, carrots and chopped ginger and garlic. Saute till the raw smell of the garlic disappears.
- Add in the chilli paste, chilli flakes, soya sauce, chilli sauce, tomato sauce, and vinegar. Mix well. Adjust salt. Add the sugar and mix well till the chicken strips are well coated with the sauces.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix 1 tbsp cornflour in ¼ cup water and pour. Let it cook so the sauce thickens and forms a nice glaze and coating on the chicken pieces.
- Take it off the flame and transfer it to a serving dish. Garnish with spring onion greens. You can even add celery at this stage. Serve with fried rice, noodles or as a starter.
Here’s How to Order Fresh Chicken?
With Zorabian chicken delivery online now you can order the chicken cuts you wish to cook straight on the website and have it delivered to your doorstep while you make the preparations for the dish. Cooking chicken dishes and enjoying them with family and friends has never been this easy.
Do try this Dragon Chicken Recipe and share your pictures with us on the Zorabian Instagram Page. Buy your Zorabian chicken boneless or cuts of your choice from our online store or general trade partners and enjoy your favourite chicken dishes with friends and family. We bring you a number of melt-in-your-mouth chicken recipes, do check the Zorabian blog for more recipes that you will love cooking.