Enjoy the Deliciously Rich Taste and Aroma of Chicken Nihari
Chicken Nihari is a famous Uttar Pradesh food known for its rich and aromatic gravy. Its aromatic flavours and tender chicken make it a perfect choice for special occasions or weekend meals. Here’s a recipe to make Chicken Nihari in just a few easy steps:
- Pre-cut chicken skinless – 1 packet (500 gms)
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Finely sliced onion – 2 (medium-sized)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Water – 4 cups
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon Stick – 1/2 inches
- Fennel Seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Cumins Seeds – 1 tsp
- Green Cardamom – 3- 4
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped (for garnish) – 1 small bunch
- Wheat flour – 2 tablespoons (optional for thickening)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
To Prepare Nihari Masala
Dry roast all the spices and grind them to form a powder. You can strain it to get finer powder.
Cooking Instructions for Chicken Nihari:
- Heat ghee in a large pot or pressure cooker over medium heat. Add sliced onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Now add chicken pieces and cook until they turn slightly brown.
- In a small bowl, mix Nihari masala powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt.
- Add this spice mixture to the pot and cook for a couple of minutes to coat the chicken evenly.
- Pour water into the pot, cover it, and let it simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours. If using a pressure cooker, cook for about 30-40 minutes on medium heat.
- If you want a thicker gravy, mix wheat flour with a little water to make a smooth paste. Add this paste along with yoghurt to the Nihari and cook for an additional 5 – 10 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Once the Nihari is ready, garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and ginger slices.
- Serve hot with naan or rice. Squeeze some lemon juice on top before eating to enhance the flavours.
Do try the Chicken Nihari Recipes using Zorabian Chicken and share the final dish picture/video with us on the Zorabian Instagram Page.
Buy Zorabian Fresh Chicken to Ready-to-Cook Chicken Products from our online store, Modern trade stores like Big Basket, Zepto, Natures Basket and more or at our general trade partner stores near you and enjoy your favourite chicken dishes with friends and family. We bring you a number of melt-in-your-mouth chicken recipes, Do check them on Zorabian blog for more recipes that you will love cooking.